Aug 13, 2012

Boudoir Dolls

We've had quite a week here at Chez Conwell...the AC went out last Wednesday night, so I spent Thursday and Friday in a house where the first morning's 78 was the all time low.  By Friday night, it was a whopping 100 in the house...even the candles on the shelves were melting.  But they fixed it finally, and we now have a much better appreciation of modern air conditioning.

Since I was stuck in the house because of repair men present, I figured I may as well make some progress on dolls--it actually did help to divert my attention from the sweltering pity-party.  I'd been studying Boudoir Dolls (also called Bed Dolls or Flapper Dolls) for months, inspired by the history behind them.  So I designed a body pattern, sculpted some heads a few weeks back, and have been working on six new creations (and dressing the last three Izzy dolls too) for the show in two weeks. 

The boudoir / bed dolls I'm working on are quite a bit smaller than antique ones...mine average 18" tall, whereas the old ones were anywhere from 24" to 36" tall!  One of these days I'd like to make one that is authentic in that detail, but for now mine are more like my version of a bed doll, rather than a reproduction.

Here are some photos of antiques.  There is a wide variance in styles over the decades these dolls were produced--1920's to the 1940's.  In a day or two, I'll have pictures of mine up.  Promise.  :~)
















Have a great week!

11 comments:

  1. Glad you have your air back! Very interesting dolls, love the lips and make up, they are so fashionable! Can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing those photos, I love these boudoir dolls, they are so sassy with their smoky eyeshadow and beauty spots. The smoker dolls were hilarious but represented the new modern flapper who smoked in public. I can't wait to see your versions! Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love these pictures. I'm restoring a Munzerlite lamp doll at the moment and these pictures are great for me. Yes, they have lovely faces, with bright lipstick and smoky eyeshadow. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am intrigued with the clothing of these dolls...would be so much fun to design and sew clothes like these. Can't wait to see your little gals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures too. I have a couple of these dolls, both are in bad shape. I know you will make some good ones. Look forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see yours. I love these dolls, and their 'attitude'. :)) Glad the a/c is back on. I know exactly how that feels. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tease... Tease... Tease... where are YOUR dolls? Daryle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jan! Thanks for the email! It was such a pleasure to meet you and you made the whole day just fly by. I didn't even notice my old achy back until I got home! You are such a talented person and you are a joy to be around. Everything you create has a personality of its own and as Katherine said, "they just make you happy". I have never written on a blog before so I hope I did OK. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. dear jan ,the old boudior dolls you hahe, are they for sale? my e mail address is txperso@aol.com thank you laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, these are illustrations of the type, sorry. You can often find them on Ebay, though. Good luck! The ones I have for sale are my art-doll interpretation of the Boudoir Doll "genre" and I do have four or five of them for sale.

      Delete

Thank you very much for stopping by.