Nov 1, 2010

Real Estate.

So we've been working on investments...real estate for rentals.  Put an offer on one, but the rehab necessary to make it live-in-able is daunting.  Still a good deal, but oh boy. It's a foreclosure, of course, which is what makes it a good deal for an investment.  LOTS of room for improvement to get it to market value.  Nothing structural, but...

what baffles me is how people can treat a house the way this one was treated. 

I really don't understand it.  I'm not house-proud--one impromptu visit to our place would prove that in an instant.  But we respect our home--even if it's a rented home--because of all it does for us.  Gives us boundaries, protection, walls to paint (okay, this might not appeal to everyone), fresh water and a solid floor.  A house gives us a place to curl up when the world outside is just too big/noisy/indifferent/mean.  A house gives us a place (and sometimes a reason) to celebrate, a place to welcome and enjoy our loved ones in.  Yes, it's "just" a house.  I've had to remind myself that a time or two when I was sad to leave one we'd grown to love.  But how is it possible to do damage, to neglect caring for, to disrespect this wonderful thing that has done nothing but protect and serve?

I'm sure there's an explanation for why people treat a house the way some people do.  Not sure I'd buy anything as a good reason, however.

If we do end up buying the current offer, (or one like it with such "special needs"), I'll have to remain diligent in my efforts to NOT grow attached, and remember to keep my professional, unemotional, business-like head on straight.  I can't really make it up to the poor thing for how badly it was treated--it is, after all, an inanimate object, right?

I may plant some flower seeds, though.  Maybe they'll remind the new tenants just how great a house can be if you take good care of it. 

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait until we get a house. Our current rental has walls made of something similar to concrete, so hanging pictures is an event. And I could paint, but then I'd just have to go over them with white again in two years. :/ I would have a hard time fixing up a house and NOT becoming emotionally attached in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some folks see their rental homes as not theirs to maintain. It's a house, not a home. They've somehow distanced themselves from that all-important function of personal pride in whatever environment they call "home". Maybe they'd be better off in the garage... I rent and I love my house/home. I've planted and cleaned and tidied and generally tried to keep it from looking like a rental.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your post and feel the power of metaphor within it. Call me cynical, but our society seems to enable such behaviors - whether our "House" is a dwelling or other "belongings" … our bodies, our families, our neighbors, our communities … our earth … our very spirit. For me, this is all part of My Dream - the healing that we all must come around to accepting as our own and respecting it enough to share and pass to our children … our collective future.

    Thank you for being part of My Dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Montana, I'm surprised they even "allow" hanging pictures on the walls! Our rent houses will not be white...a nice coffee-n-milk color with white trim maybe. ;~) Got sick of living in white walls in base housing.

    Joe Beth, I can imagine you'll leave the place even better than you found it!

    Rosemary, I agree our society completely enables such behaviors. It all starts with self-respect, which is an increasingly rare commodity. (And glad to be part of your dream!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.