Nov 11, 2015

Molly and Clarise

I finished two new dolls.  Okay, I finished two old dolls who have patiently waited for me to sew them something besides the underwear they've sat around in for a year.  (Tell the truth and shame the devil.) 

So here they are.  I call the first one Molly because she's a type that I make--the first Molly being one I sold at UFDC last year, and got so many orders for.  So I call her type a Molly Doll...meaning a black lady of middle income from around the late 1800's era.  She has a linen apron and wool felt boots that are laced up permanently with cotton thread.

The second doll is Clarise, who is different than Molly because of her lighter skin, blue-gray eyes and fancier clothing.  Her shoes and hose are painted, and she wears a hardened corset w/ antique lace.  I imagined a story for her as I made her, one of those neither-nor stories that can be sweet or tragic, depending on the fortitude of the heroine. 

Anyway, here they are in their cotton dresses.  I still haven't learned to make button holes on my machine (someday!) so they have handmade button holes instead of hooks because I felt like it.  Their gown skirts are very fully gathered, and their unders are suited to the economics of their day.  They are each made from a Greiner doll body pattern, with big ol' butts, skinny middles, and broad shoulders.

I hope you like them.  I do.  :~) 















9 comments:

  1. I don't like them! I LOVE them! Molly and Clarise are probably my favorite of all your dolls. I would love to hear the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I imagine Clarise's story as a tale of romance between the landholder and the seamstress of the house...a child is born and everyone pretends they don't notice the light eyes or the silky hair. The romance is real, but of course can never be accepted as anything other than a tawdry exhibition of a man's appetites. So Clarise is raised as a fatherless bastard in the household, given more unofficial status than she understands, and she wonders why she has so much more than the girls in the kitchen or the field. She is raised to be a seamstress, as her mother is widely known for her skills. But Clarise has a burning desire to have land of her own, and she falls in love with a man in town...and however unsuitable for her, she will marry him someday.

      Delete
  2. both these dolls are super nice. I love the black dolls, I also like the clothes you made for each of them. I do think I like the plainer doll a little better, but both dolls have lots of character and the modeling on their faces is very deep and good. I know you are glad to finally finish these and can move on from them, but it is nice to be able to see and enjoy them a little while before they get new homes. A hand made button hole is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. I loved making them, as their proportion really felt right. My last Molly doll was well modeled in the face, but her proportion didn't make me happy at all. Oh well. And someday I will learn to make buttonholes on the machine, but I'll still make them by hand once in a while. :~)

      Delete
  3. These dolls are beautiful. I can see why you received so many orders. The faces of each are lovely. Doesn't it feel good to finally get a doll finished that's being sitting around for in the studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It DOES feel good to get them finished. So much going on right now that's keeping me from working on them, but I did clear a little time to make dresses. :~)

      Delete
  4. Lovely dolls Jan. You should write a story about all your dollies! Hand made button holes, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't say they were PRETTY handmade buttonholes. :~D

      Delete
  5. Jan, your Dolls are breath taking, Gorgeous ! It is my hope to one day be able to create like this, Right now I just can't seem to get the sculpturing with clay, You dress them to perfection!!!!! I LOVE your snow pictures also, Living in FL here summers are hot and very long, !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.