Oct 11, 2015

Phoenix Doll Show (postmortem)

My good friend Martha reminded me I hadn't posted about the doll show.  (Thank you, m'lady--I did forget that I hadn't done it.  To-do lists can fool you into thinking you're more efficient than you are.)

I'll start with saying Thank You to my lovely husband, who helped me so much.  I won't bore you with details, but thyroid issues have had my normally abundant energy flagging to the ground, so that I'm dependent on many hours of sleep and naps to get through a day.  The good news is that this situation will be corrected in the next months, so I'll once again be slinging a pick-axe to dig flowers (or at least managing my own doll shows!)

I spent two days and some money making new backdrops for the set-up.  Apparently I didn't spend ENOUGH money, because once I got the things to the event, and tried to set them up, it was a total failure.  Epic.  The backdrops are even now on their way to be recycled.  Lessons learned are painful, but they still count, right?  Despite that initial "wobble"--and the hubs is amazed I didn't fall apart, given my...retentive...nature--things progressed and I did indeed get set up.

Having rented three 8 foot tables, I'd been worried I wouldn't have enough dolls to fill them up.  This was not a concern.  In fact the husband grumbled a few times; "I can't believe she thought she wouldn't have enough!" upon finding yet another bin full of dolls to put out.

My sweet mother & father-in-law came to see me at the show, as did a couple of my nieces.  This was a special treat for me, as up til now I've always been too far away for them to see me "in action".

For a first show, I did remarkably well, selling several times the amount of my show expenses.  There was good feedback, and it appears I was the only doll artist at the show, the rest being dealers of antiques and one-timers selling off estate dolls of a loved one.  Lots of business cards went out, and I had a request to speak at an upcoming doll club meeting.  This bodes well for future shows at this venue, and I was encouraged.

The lesson I learned about the setup: my backdrops were too high, but I still need something to frame the dolls and set them off from the general chaos of the show.  (New ones in planning now.) Lastly, don't get too wrapped up in the decorating...make it look nice, but clutter only distracts.  

Hope your week will be a lovely one!














Nekkid rag dolls, and a pattern to dress them.
Valley of the Sun Doll Club--our gracious hostesses!
Me, w/ a weirdly prissy face and my show apron (uniform). 



9 comments:

  1. Jan, your set up is wonderful & your creations are even more amazing! Sure wish I could have been there to see them in person. Your Father Christmas and the 3 whimsical elves are my fav. Great idea to sell the simple rag doll with a clothing pattern. Glad your show was such a success. You are my kind of gal with those comfy tennis shoes!! I'm old and lazy....I stuck my dollies in a old apple box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, I have no doubt if you were setting up at a doll show, you would create amazing little vignettes for each one that rival the doll houses you make. But you were sharing a set up with other folks! (And I have a ridiculous collection of Converse, and wear them everywhere, despite my age. :~D )

      Delete
  2. Jan, this is great! I know everyone loved you and your little people! I love your prissy face and the show apron (must make one for myself). Sherri chose favorites, so here goes...Father Christmas, of course, and the pretty gal with the sculpted hair and wearing black (?) checks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how we all like different ones...the little girl with sculpted hair was made to look sort of like the '40's ladies, "Bomb Girls" style. she has a snood on her hair in the back. The show apron is very handy--big pockets--and helps me not worry about "what to wear".

      Delete
  3. Well... I loved them all. I was more drawn to the rag dolls because they are favorites of mine, but all the dolls were amazing to me. I think you had a good set up, laid out in a good way and clutter does come with dolls and their things. You looked cute in your sneekers and apron. that apron was great and super handy I'm sure. Your husband was good to help you and I am sure would help you every time if needed. Thank you for showing us the doll show and telling us how you did there. I knew you would do good. I enjoyed reading all about it. I also hope your thyroid problems will be gone soon. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you when I play with the rag dolls. And I confess that I wish I could paint mine as well as you do yours. Yours are magic. :~)

      Delete
  4. Your setup looks wonderful and it doesn't like a total failure to me, quite the contrary. I think the backdrops you used enhanced your dolls. Overall it sounds like you hade a wonderful time, though tiring and quite the experience. The dolls have such charm and personality. Thanks for sharing the show with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks--but there are no backdrops. I had large boards that were to be set behind the dolls, but I never used them. :) And I DID have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I met these dolls in childish form in my classroom, and that is how I feel, that they are real children preserved in your art. atk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.