Dec 20, 2011

I think I found it...

Having studied other cloth doll types of the same era, and making lots of Non-Izzie Dolls with Izzie-like bodies to experiment with feet/hand/arms/torso/head shapes, I've drawn one that suits me.  She's a little plumper than a real Izzie, and I've got more dinking around (technical term) to do with the foot and hand pattern, but  I think I've found the basis for the one I want to work with.  They'll bear a family resemblance to Izannah Walker Dolls, but with a difference.

Change was evident throughout the history of Izannah Walker's dolls: part of the wonder of her dolls was how they evolved over decades.  I like to think we're making long-distant cousins of those first little ones.

Doll makers owe Dixie Redmond a huge debt of gratitude for making these dolls and their history available for online study.  If you're ever tempted to try your hand, I highly recommend Dixie's beginner-friendly, printable e-book, or even better, the online workshop when she next holds one. 





I guess this one will be (once she's finished) Izzie #9...
and the first JDConwell IW inspired doll of 2012.
Here's to a great new year.

4 comments:

  1. Drawing the pattern just right can be a bit tricky...good for you in getting it right. It seems half my time is spent re-drawing the re-draw from the previous one. Impressive little girls here, waiting on their wardrobes! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thought I should tell you that I had to add your new web address to the blogs I follow to get updates when you post. Surely don't want to miss out on one of my favorite blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely doll. I look and look and one day I'll get up the courage to make one. It's the sculpting and the painting of the face that I find daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw. Thanks for the plug. Pattern-designing is fun but meticulous. I have learned to make ONE change at a time. And that's why various body parts had up to 20 tries. :-) And I'm still working on my next variation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.