Apr 6, 2018

It's Friday!


It's Friday!!! Yay!!!

We're going to an agility competition down in Phoenix this weekend with the parents-in-law.  Should be as interesting as the dog shows we like to see, only more active.  My husband has plans after he retires to participate in agility with a future dog that we'll have.  Not as a fiercely competitive do-or-die kinda thing, but for fun bond of working and training.  

So that's for future (near and far) but today's to-do list includes: brine the pork shoulder for Sunday's smoker, finish laundry, housework, and water the flower beds.  Oh--and deconstruct the wool skirts and jackets I got thrift shopping this week.  Wool!  Lovely wool. 

My change of focus from dolls to more of the textile arts is strange but refreshing, and to that end, I'm ready to quilt the Summer wall hanging (wool applique on cotton).  Here's a photo of finished "Spring"--a pattern I will have published in...um, some days.

I've gotten brave and started working toward actually sewing my antique Singer sewing machine.  So far I don't even know how to thread it.  Bought last summer, (with much eye rolling at self) and researched to discover: one of 25,000 machines of its type made in late January of 1931.  The cabinet is solid but neglected--a little (lot) of wood polish is in order. 

There is a local group here whose expertise extends to these machines, so I'll beg or barter for a little help, and then--off I go!  This machine was one that used to be in treadle cabinets, but was outfitted with motors in the 1930's--a crazy new innovation.  She's been refurbished and tuned up, and is patiently waiting for me to give her a try. 

So here are photos of Lady Singer...more on how it goes later.  (Wish me luck!)  :P









  I hope your weekend is lovely...whether your weather is cooperating or not.  Cheers, y'all.

5 comments:

  1. I can see why you are interested in the quilting panels. I like the quilted bonnets and certain other quilting things, like a very few quilted dresses. the textiles and how they are made and dyed is very interesting to me, as are the different ways to make a good dress. I used to do embroidery, but not so much now. the sewing machine is very pretty. They made prettier things back then. I am sure you will be able to use it once you get the hang of how it works and its quirks. I think mama had a treadle machine, or atleast Granny did, but it is gone now and I don't know where it went. An agility contest should be interesting. I sure know every year seems to take away how fast I can do things. I bought some antique childrens sewing machines, but have yet to see how or if they will work, I just thought they were pretty and wanted some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to embroider--I think that's why I like the crazy quilting so much. Back when we played in the SCA, I got to embroider a lot with making garb for six people. But there was a definite period limitation, so nothing modern or even "old fashioned". It had to be medieval! :~P

    Children's sewing machines! Oh, I'd love to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your "Spring" is a lovely piece! There are more wonderful things to do with textiles than a person could do in a life time. Your old Singer is a beauty! These old machines really do make such a lovely stitch. If you search hard enough, you should be able to find a copy of an old manual for your machine on the web. I found and copied one for my old White Vibrating Shuttle Machine, which gave clear instructions for threading her. She's what my grandmother sewed on, but I also have another like her that has been "motorized."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find a book for her--and have my fingers crossed! Part of me wonders why in the world I would keep such a large item I don't "really" need, knowing full well we have two more moves ahead of us in the future. But I guess we'll just have to leave a recliner. :~P

      Delete
  4. That's a beautiful wool quilt and sewing machine! I had a couple of older Singers, I regretfully parted with them, one was a treadle. Looking forward to see how it works for you.



    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.