Aug 31, 2017

That was then, this is now.

A nice lady I met on Facebook bought my little Frankenstein character...and then while she was looking at my Etsy shop's past sales, she encountered a previous piece of folk art she'd bought from me--several years ago!  It was kinda funny.  But anyway, while she was in the past sales thing, she found one of my verrrrrry first art dolls--back when I was making them out of gourds. 


She wanted a custom character similar to him.  The original was trick-or-treating, and this lady wanted an Easter Bunny with a basket of eggs, but otherwise, I tried to stay with the basic idea of a kid in a bunny suit.  (Who, it must be said, was originally inspired by the movie A Christmas Story.) 

So of course my imagination kicked into high gear at the challenge--to revisit a thing I'd made WAY back then, when I didn't know much at all about paper clay, or how to assemble these characters to be sturdy, or faces.  Or painting.  Or antiquing.  My techniques are so different, and I think the sculpting is better.  The original is still fun, but I am pleased to think my skills have grown in the seven years since I made him.









Of course now I'm thinking of revisiting a lot of the ideas I had back then--they were good ideas, and with new techniques, they'll be good again.  Cheers! 

5 comments:

  1. This little bunny is so cute. I love the blue suit and the big ears. I am sure this is exactly what the lady wanted. When someone asked you to make them something, I know how your mind starts thinking up a storm. So many ideas and so many ways to make something. I like all your work, but I think we all improve over time if we keep working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did seem happy with him. I have so enjoyed the folk art pcs after making cloth and clay dolls for years.

      Delete
  2. I like them both, but like the second one slightly better. I think your work is amazing, and there is no doubt that YOU made them both, even though you have "grown" in your skills. Your style is always there. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Your style is always there"...that is music to my ears. :~P

      Delete
  3. I love your adorable imaginative creations, new or old!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.