Apr 7, 2017

Spring Dizzies.

So much to do, but...it's SPRING!

A common complaint, I'm sure.  I have a lot of outdoor chores to do today--mulching, soap for the aphids, digging the amendments into the new bed along Fool's Creek.  That's what I call the awful concrete drainage monstrosity they put in between our house and the neighbor's--Fool's Creek.  Long story short; it took them four months and who-knows-how-much money to install a hazardous 100 ft concrete trough when it could have taken them a month and 1/4 of the money to bury a culvert.  Sorry.  I'm still bitter about it.  But I have a small fence along it (hoping to keep from falling in the trough and cracking my head) upon which I will plant honeysuckle and bittersweet. 

But all that's the outside work, and there is so much going on inside!  Or should be.  I have a new commission--do you remember last year's ornament order?  Same lady wants little cupid-type angels this year, and I'm glad she contacted me early.  Should be interesting, as all 14 of them need to be different, in face and aspect, but the same in wing and size. 



I've gotten busy with drawing plans for punch needle, wool applique and embroidery projects.  Mostly I'm covering small boxes and pin keeps for the upcoming Folk Art Fair in June.  I'll definitely have my dolls there, but as this is not a doll show, I will take it as a chance to make some other things, and hope for the best.  Besides, I love the fiber arts, and have enjoyed the different directions I'm going lately. 

I finally finished the penny rug I designed for our coffee table.  The projects I'll make for the folk art fair will be much smaller, but still satisfying.  Cheers, y'all. 



10 comments:

  1. Howdy Hey, Oh Jan I so love your penny rug! Just beautiful. Happy to hear about your ornament order wow 14 of them ! Today and yesterday we went from the 90's to Nice wind and way cooler temps even have all our windows open and really enjoying the fresh ,SO hard to stay inside, I keep going out doing yard ,flower garden work . Have a great week end!! (((Sherrie)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy that weather while you have it. It's Nature's Way of saying, "Time for some Garden Therapy." :~)

      Delete
  2. Honeysuckle and bittersweet...two of my favorites! That should sweeten things up along Fool's Creek! :~) Your penny rug is a real beauty. I would think no feet, no drinks on this coffee table! :~) It makes me dizzy just thinking about your new commission--14 of them! Of course, you will have great fun with them, and they will be just awesome! Happy Spring, Jan...and be careful along Fool's Creek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This coffee table is way old (I've had it longer than I've had Phil) and it can take anything. And if the penny rug can't be washed, it won't last long around here.

      Delete
  3. Bittersweet... a favorite of our's as well! I'm a little surprised to hear that it will thrive there. It grows here in South Jersey with invasive force; if not kept in-check! Your penny rug is outstanding in color and design! I'm waiting for my creative juices to kick-in and move me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daryle, I'm not sure if it will thrive here, but given the limits in rain, I can easily keep it in check. :~P And thanks for the kind words on the penny rug--it was my first, but it certainly won't be my last.

      Delete
  4. I do like your rug too. Very colorful and was lots of work, I know. I agree, not to have food and drinks to spill on it. We have been working outside too, cleaning up the leaves from winter and cutting grass. We have a big yard, but not to many flowers to speak of, although I do love them. You will be super busy working on the 14 little angels, but what a fun project.I imagine you can cover the part of the yard to make the ugly concrete trough less visible. Enjoy all your projects and outside time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky that the table is not in a part of the living room where food or drinks go...but if so, it'll wash. :~) I'd love to help you landscape your big yard!

      Delete
  5. Jan,
    I love the penny rug. I made an table mat from the pattern "The Old Tattered Flag" a few months ago. It was a kit. I loved it and found it something my old stiff finger could easily do. I also ordered several patterns and have been searching up wool (mostly from thrift store clothing I can cut up....wow, wool is expensive). I love that primitive colorful look. Sorry you have an ugly creek. Not a bit surprised "they" did something so stupid. We have a new stop light just a few hundred feet from an existing stop light that absolutely make no sense at all & they changed a section of road to make a different turn lane that is now three times more dangerous than the old one.....I wonder who make these dumb decisions. Crazy! I wintered 5 chestnut seeds in the refrigerator this winter. They sprouted and I now have them in pots!! I hope they don't kill them! This is the fourth time I've tried to winterize them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chestnut trees! We've done (tried) that with burr oak trees. The hubs has a thing about them. We did get one to take and grew into a good little sapling, which we planted. And then we moved away. Again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.