May 16, 2012

Still alive and working hard!

Don't you love when people post just to say "I haven't posted in quite a while" ?

Well I haven't, mostly because I've had my head down, working!  I have six new dolls in the works--all w/ Izzy bodies using Dixie Redmond's method of construction.  Four are little Izzies, one is a little black toddler w/ big brown eyes, and one is a Googly because I always smile when I see them in the antique doll magazine.

This Googly looks a little worried, but she's still awfully cute.

I spent yesterday cutting out the "body suit" for each of them, along with six sets of clothes--chemise, petticoat, bloomers, dress, apron and / or bonnet.  Now for the sewing.  Guess I'll stay busy w/ handwork for the next little while!

Other than dolls, we had a wonderful Mother's Day celebration here at our place.  Well, part Mother's Day, part reunion between kids and grand kids, and part birthday party for my lovely Phillip who hates parties and threatened not to show up if I made a big deal of it.  My daughter was there w/ her hub and the twins...and a good friend of mine--we've known each other since Junior High--was present w/ all her kids and grand-kids.  The good friend played photographer for the day, so once she sends me the files, I'll post pics.  I think she got some good ones.

Until then, I'll be in the back room, working on Izzy Unders.

9 comments:

  1. Not surprised that you have been hiding out with those wonderful grands and dolls...in a way they are all grands and all dolls...right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to find time to do everything so we have to take care of the most important things first and family and dolls should always come first. Have fun with all of the hand sewing. I have quite a stack of sewing to do myself. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, you are inspiring me to get my caboose in action. I need to head down to the sewing area and make some arms and legs...my least favorite part to make until they are already on, and then I LOVE them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixie, me too! So I MADE myself sew the arms and legs, then those blooming fingers and thumbs. It was all stuffed, sewn, and even arms and legs primed and painted before I even allowed myself to gesso and sculpt the heads, let alone paint them. Very hard to do, but rewarding, because now they're all assembled and have only body suits and clothes to go. I keep hearing Pink Floyd in my head, "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat???" :~P

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous mother's day with family and friends.
    The first half of mother's day here was nice and restful, the second half was mayhem as I promised to watch my friends 4 small kids until midnight. oi
    It's nice to hear that you got your motivation back, can't wait to see the fruits of your labor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what all you have made. I knew you were busy, just waiting to see what you have to show us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been busy! So get back to it and have fun creating your Izzy Unders!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to confess, the legs and the arms would do me in. Just turning them inside out and stuffing them would cause a stream of obscenities. I can't wait to see your new dolls! I love the Googly doll's expression - so cute! Sounds like Mother's Day was pretty wonderful. Mine was good, too, and I forgot to take photos. lol! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to make some of my own clothes for my sculpts, but it always, always deters me. Jan, you've come a long way with your work and I love it.

    Happy belated Mothers DAy!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.