Nov 10, 2011

A Confession

I know they're part of America's history, and that in a way, they can symbolize the dichotomy between opposites in each of us--light/dark, good/bad, etc. With a Master's in archetypal mythology, I ought to appreciate them as the purest example of the primitive collective unconcious in physical form...

But can I just say that topsy-turvy dolls 
give me the heebie-jeebies?


The creative aspect in this folkart is admirable--I know some doll makers over on the Maida site who have made such gorgeous examples, with their sweet little faces.  To see a real antique one (two?) is intriguing, if for no other reason than their historical value.  When I was a kid, a friend of mine down the street had one(s) that was Little Red Riding Hood with Grandma and the Wolf on the other...end. 

But there's just something about having two torsos and heads and no legs...it's like Siamese twins joined at the waist.  Poor things.

Maybe I need to get more in touch with my dark side (or is it my light side?) and embrace the symbolism.  Maybe I need to get off the computer and go write out the grocery list for today's trip to town.


There are lots of things I could have posted today. 
This is what got posted.  For that, my apologies.
Now, back to your regularly scheduled Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. Haha! I love them. I think I love them BECAUSE they have heads and torsos but no legs. And I think maybe there is a need for a scary version...ummm...that would be kind of fun to make!
    I have a couple. One has Alladin, and the other side is the genie. One has two kids in bed, and the other side is Santa. They are pretty cool - I should post them. Might help you to love them a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, it doesn't surprise me at ALL that you love them. :~P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one when I was little (it's still around here somewhere), I always felt bad for the one that was covered up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly! So do you have to give them equal time uncovered? Oh no! I forgot to switch the doll! Lot of Freudian stuff going on with these poor things...a karmic debt we didn't even know we owed! ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I agree with you! I'm not in love with topsy turvy dolls at all. But they do have an interesting history, and are important because of that. I always think of one of the heads as the "real doll" and the other as the split personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, they freak me out too, I'm afraid to uncover the 'other' because I don't know what it will be or look like, fear of the unknown big time! Glad I'm not alone! Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.