Feb 16, 2011

Gourds!

Between the wood dolls and the gourd dolls, I've been busy.

On some earlier post, I'd mentioned finding a monster stash of doll eyes at the thrift shop.  Then there were all these gourds laying around, waiting to be turned into something interesting.  Besides, I want to submit a gourd art doll to Art Doll Quarterly's gourd challenge.  I have gourd dolls already made, but decided to make something for the occasion.

Sooooo....  I gave them eyes.  And have sculpted faces.  Oh boy have I been having fun sculpting faces! 

The end result is a sort of cross between nature totems and spirit dolls.  Although I must admit having the silly things all lined up and staring at me was a bit unnerving at first.  It's better now they have faces. 

Some WIP photos... (don't be scared.  They'll get painted later.)
One of them looks a little like Peter Lorre, doesn't he? 



4 comments:

  1. These are going to be absolutely fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THESE ARE AWESOME!!!!
    can't wait to see the all finished...and what you submit to ADQ.
    i love the little devil guy.

    i never could quite get the hang of sculpting around doll eyes. i bought a bunch when i first got into making dolls...but they were hard for me to work with.
    how did you feel about working with them..?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, they are tricky--especially since I'm trying to stay true to the shape of the gourd and not create a "face shape" for them to fit into.

    But a little coil of paper clay around them...not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are great! I've never been inspired to work with gourds but I really like what you're doing with these. Thanks for sharing, the faces look great and awesome thrift store find, isn't that the best?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.