Jun 4, 2020

Seriously? February was the last post???

Hmph.  Well, I'll give myself a break on it--we've had a LOT going on. 

I'll try to keep it short.

Throughout January and February, I tackled the job of dismantling and packing up the studio, and getting the house "HGTV-Ready" for its realty listing.  We did list it...and a week later the Covid mess hit.  Luckily, we found a buyer in that first week!

We had to get a rental here in the mountains while we build on our lot.  Tricky, as this is a vacation town, and verrrrry few landlords accept pets.  But we did it, and with TWO Uhaul loads up & down the mountains, we got moved to the rent house, the end of April. 

Of course, then it's time to establish all that "stuff" you have to set up--a family doc, eye doc, dentist, a place to get oil changes, a new pet-vet, all the while we're getting house plans finalized, and a contract with the builder underway.  (We had to fire the first one, but this second is a jewel!)

Now we're already in June, and I find myself with a lot of time on my hands.  Our rent house is a tiny thing, so no room to set up a studio.  In one room I do have my sewing machine set up, and a few projects saved out to save my sanity...but I confess I'm not inspired to do any of them yet.  Maybe I need to get more desperate.  Ha!

I am, however, getting lots of exercise.  The first two weeks I could hardly believe the degree to which this elevation affected me--we're only a couple thousand feet higher than we were!  Two things happened, due to the thinner air here: my dreams went haywire, and my caffeine headaches did too. 

Apparently some people are greatly affected during REM sleep at higher altitudes, which is why I felt like I was dreaming--all night, every night.  I still call my husband The Bear Whisperer because of one of those weird dreams.  And the 1/2-life of caffeine (time it takes to clear your system) is twice as short as it is at a lower elevation.  So my morning cups of half-caff wore off by noon, leaving me with a pounding java-withdrawal headache!  I wrestled with this a bit, but in the end, I knew what I had to do.

So I bit the bullet and quit the coffee.  Herbal tea anyone?  The dreaming has gone back to my average levels--I've always been a vivid dreamer--and that's okay.  The elevation doesn't make me need to sit down during walks with the dog like it did, but I still suck wind on the hills, lemme tell ya!

The house building project is taking waaaay longer than I want it to, of course.  But permits are under way, and our guy has cleared trees for the house.  I guess that's where we are now. 

Hope summer is treating y'all right. 

3 comments:

  1. Just replied to your comment at Woodstown Whimsies... How exciting to find yourselves in this place, at this time! (In spite of the pandemic!) After the construction commences, the building ceases and the dust settles (you know, it never really "settles")... you'll have your studio and a place to truly call "home." Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are going well and hopefully the house will be ready before you know it. Excited for you! Take care and enjoy the free time you have right now. I'm sure it will not last long! Peace and good health to both of you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is alway takes longer then we want.I never had a home built but have had rooms added.It is wonderful when done.
    I just read your email very intresting,must be fun to have that family
    I will be back Laura Quaglia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.