Sep 6, 2012

Something new's been added.

Gotta get the watering done early this morning, because I have to leave for a vet appointment.  But not with the Schultz, no sirry-bob.  We have a kitten.  I know.  I resisted for years...ever since I lost my Sidney back in '05.  And it's not for lack of offers--plenty of "oh, but he needs a good hooooome!" in the intervening years.  I never really felt it enough to give up the cat-hair-less, poop-scooperless freedom of life without indoor cats.

So Monday the grand-boys and I were out in the veggie garden (they think it's cool when it's empty like that) and here comes this little squeaking, ugly tortoise shell with a freakishly long tail, headed straight for us.  I thought it was the neighbor's cat, and tired of their cats pooping in the flower beds, I pegged a pebble at her to make her go home.  But she just wouldn't spook!  Schultz finally chased her up a tree--any cat besides his foster cat is fair game.  About that time, said neighbor came out.  "No," he said, "It's not ours.  We don't have any cats w/ tails."  They only have manxes.  Who poop in flower beds.  You see why it was easy to resist up til now?

This picture makes her look big, but she's a skinny wee thing...

I figure, fine.  This tiny orphan is likely to get eaten by the pit bull mixes across the street, and starve to death if she manages to escape them, so I'll put her in a crate and take her in to the animal shelter.  We live out in the county, no dog or cat catchers out here.  So I stood at the base of the tree, looked up into her big gold eyes and called to her.  She climbed down the trunk...and into my heart.

Ridiculous, demanding little thing.  Now I have cat hair.  Now I scoop poop.  But at that minute, I knew this cat was supposed to be here, and now it's too late to do anything but love her.  Her name is Willie.  (We already have a Waylon.)  She and Schultz are in the process of agreeing to live together, and it's going surprisingly well.  I'll get a picture one of these days when they finally end up sleeping in a pile on his dog-bed.  It's inevitable.

12 comments:

  1. Jan, your story is heartwarming and so funny at the same time, love it when you take the time to give the whole scenario. She is lucky to have a good home, bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous story! You big softie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story told so well. I wouldn't call Willie ugly, not even a little bit ugly. She has some beautiful eyes and I'll bet loads of personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear...I'd cave in too just looking at that little face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, You have a remarkle creative writing talent! and yes, the same thing happened to me. My sweet Buddy passed and I also resisted. Until one snowy day "Tessa" showed up at our door. She was tiny, skinny, and only about 4 months old. She has the golden eyes like your new "Willie".

    She is absolutely beautiful. I love her little streak down the noseline. Bless you for taking her in. :)

    Bethann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant remarkable (silly me...I need to proof read better before publishing!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new kittie is a dear and looks right at home sitting on that cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw! She looks like a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bwahaha yep that's the way it starts ....in my case it went on and on and so now... 9 of them uh huh

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Willie were meant to belong to each other. There's no doubt about it. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perhaps the pretty kitty is a birthday gift..... Happy B-day to you!
    I turned 60 on the 4th. Virgo's!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are sweet to take in the lil one Jan, I have to say you really made me laugh when you tried the pebble on her!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by.